Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Hello Butterfly

I found myself with a little extra time this weekend to squeeze in a little project for a few challenges. The colors at Color Throwdown are wonderfully neutral and when I saw them I thought about doing an old technique that, I think, might be called mother of pearl.  It involves crumpled up cling wrap and some shimmery paint.

Well, fast forward a couple of days and I see that the January challenge at CAS Mix It Up is to use cling wrap.  How's that for a coincidence?  Not one to ignore a sign from the crafty muses I got out my supplies and went to work on this card.



I had a really hard time photographing this tag so that it showed off the colors properly.  I used gray, vanilla, and black but the vanilla disappears and my mother of pearl background looks quite dingy.  One of these days I'm going to hire an actual photographer to come to my home and teach me how to take proper pictures!  The butterfly was actually done in two layers.  The solid bottom is done in vanilla and the top is actually done in vellum and has many cut-out dots.  I wish you could see how pretty this is in real life!  **sigh**  And I included one more challenge.  At Crazy 4 Challenges they are looking for tags.

Thanks for stopping by!

Stamps:  Little Notes (The Stamp Market); Mini 72 (PaperArtsy)
Paper:  Smoky Slate, Vellum (Stampin' Up!); Black Licorice (My Favorite Things); Naturals White (Neenah); Glossy (Ranger)
Ink:  Jet Black (Altenew); Frost White for Fantasitx (Tsukineko)
Accessories:  Pappillons die (4enscrap); Tag Sale: Quilted die (Papertrey Ink); enamel dots (My Mind's Eye); baker's twine; white seam binding ribbon

7 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

Love it when challenges com together like that! Your tag is pretty Jen!!

Christine Alexander said...

Jen, I love the monochromatic scheme for your cling wrap background and card. So pretty, Thanks for joining in at CAS Mix up :)

Susan said...

Lovely colour scheme and great use of the cling wrap background and the butterfly die! Thanks for joining us at CAS Mix Up.

Loll said...

I love this technique. Looks so pretty done in neutrals. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Bonnie said...

Love these neutral colors and that sweet butterfly, Jen! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

nancy littrell said...

Faux Mother of Pearl is beautiful technique for your background using neutral colors. TFS Jen and joining us at CAS Mix Up. Hugs

Julia Aston said...

I love the tag die cut shape of your card - with the neutral colors and beautiful design! Thank you for joining us in the CAS Mix Up Jen! Julia xx